Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Only in Mexico...




I hate it when people call Mexico a third-world country. Having lived there for a good portion of my life and having gone back for a few weeks every year, I can tell you, that is far from true. I mean, we have ESPN and wi-fi at my grandma's house. That alone should disqualify my home country from third-world status. Nevertheless, there are some things that go on in the land of the Aztecs, that only a backwards country could experience. Take the most recent scandal from the telenovela that is the Mexican National Team.

Jonathan Dos Santos, 20, is a promising prospect at Barcelona. He has yet to become a fixture with the first team at Barcelona but coach Pep Guardiola speaks highly of this up-and-comer. His potential garnered him an invitation to the Mexican National Team camp. Coming off an injury, he was unable to play much during the camp or the games played in that time-frame. Nevertheless, he survived the initial roster cut and was one of the last 24 standing. With almost no experience at any level, he was a surprising pick over some veteran players.

On Sunday, Jonathan was cut. While a crushing blow, this is a fairly common occurrence seeing as every other national team in the World Cup had to cut its roster to 23. But, being Mexico, this couldn't go over that easily. That same day, Jonathan's father, Mexican-Brazilian and ex-soccer star Zizinho came out guns blazing and announced "Jona" would never lace up a pair for Mexico ever again.

It happened with Chucho. Now, Aguirre. My child will never put on Mexico’s shirt again. For me, it’s garbage. I respect Giovani, who’s with the team. Jona should put on Brazil or Spains shirts, there they will appreciate him. My sentiments toward the Mexican national team flipped completely but not because I’m the father, not because of that, but simply because you can’t do things like that to the future of Mexican football.

Oh yea this plot only gets thicker. Let's not forget that Jonathan is also the younger brother of another up-and-comer, Giovani Dos Santos, an ex-Barcelona prospect and current fixture on El Tri. Gio is said to be so distraught by the news that his brother was cut, that he wants to quit the team. According to his father Zizinho, Gio called his father crying and said he didn't want to play in the World Cup.

For those that tuned in late, let's recap. Unexperienced young player gets chance to prove himself, gets hurt, doesn't play much, gets cut, dad goes bonkers, other unexperienced young player and brother of first unexperienced young player is sad, doesn't want to play in world's most important tournament, other players console him, to be continued.

First off, let me grab a cloth to shove in my mouth as I scream profanities at the top of my lungs (I am at work and I'm sure my boss wouldn't like me swearing for a minute straight). There are so many things wrong with this picture, I don't know where to begin.

Look, I get it that Zizinho is bummed his son didn't make the team. If that was my kid I'd be pissed too. Still, I would have to be on one high horse to declare that he would never play for that team again. THIS IS THE BIG LEAGUES. Sorry for the all-caps but it was definitely necessary. This is not some tee-ball league where every child has to play an inning. It's life. All over the world there are players being cut and I don't see any other dad's taking the ball and going home. It's one thing to stand up for your son, it's quite another to throw a temper tantrum in his name. He has to grow up on his own. He is my age for pete's sake. He is a star in the making. He will have plenty of opportunities to make it to the Big Dance again. All his dad is doing is making his son look petty and immature. Way to go Zizinho.

About Jona, why hasn't he spoken. He is young but he is not a kid. I am a little younger than he is, but I still wouldn't rely on my daddy to speak to the press for me. I know he is probably too upset to express himself right now, but he should have the courage to release a statement saying he is bummed and will speak for himself. He could at least call his dad and be like "Hey, dad, thanks for sticking up for me, but you don't have to make me look like a spoiled brat." He is 20 so that gives him a realistic shot at three more World Cups, maybe four. That's about three or four more than I will ever go to. I would give my left arm to play professional soccer and I would give my other remaining arm to play for my home country, let alone be a rising star in upcoming World Cups. There are 30 million young Mexicans who would do the same. It makes Jona look real selfish. I'm not saying that he is, only that his father is making him look that way. He has to step up, grow up, and speak up. If he really doesn't want to play for Mexico, good luck cracking a starting spot in Spain or Brazil. I think he will find it's not that easy.

Then there is Gio. I have jersey with his name on the back. He is my second favorite player in the world. I really really like the dude. BUT, he too has to grow up. He has a job to do and is being paid very handsomely to do it. To give it all up like that because of what he feels is an injustice to his brother seems petty to me. He can use it as motivation if he has to. All I know is that if he really quits on Mexico 10 days before the biggest game of his life, he will be done with El Tri forever. He could have Maradona's skills for all I care and I would still shun him. You don't quit on your team and you don't quit on your country. Not to mention that he is cap-tied to Mexico so he could not play for any other country. He would be risking ending his entire international career at the tender age of 21.

I love my brother with my whole heart as well, but this is petty. Jona is not being tortured or killed, just cut from a team. To the Dos Santos family: take a breath, clear your heads, and grow the heck up. You are not the end all, be all. Mexico was there before you and will be there after you. You can choose to be loved or vilified for decades to come. It's not just about soccer, this is about life.

When you get knocked down, stand up and dust yourself off. Just ask Mr. Jordan.

No comments:

Post a Comment